Happy Chinese New Year! It's the year of the Rabbit. So last night, my mom's cousins came over for a get together and I thought i...

I Know I'm Asian When...

8:59 AM Sharon 1 Comments

Happy Chinese New Year! It's the year of the Rabbit.


So last night, my mom's cousins came over for a get together and I thought it would be an interesting blog post to make a "You know you're Asian when..." list.








 You know you're Asian when:

-Your folks never speak UNDER 10 decibels at family gatherings.
-Your friends automatically assume you’re good at math.
-You received little red envelopes containing money on special occasions. (like Chinese New Year!)
-Your parents are never satisfied with your grades
-You don’t own any real Tupperware, only used margarine tubs, takeout containers, and jam jars.
-Your parents house is always cold.(it's cold in my house)
-Your parents grow vegetables in a garden. (it's the crops, don't mess with my pa's crops)
-Your parents enjoy comparing you to their friend’s kids. (they still do)
-Your first generation relatives have a statue of an obese, bald-headed man surrounded by children.
-Your parents or relatives have goldfish swimming in an aquarium.
-Your parents buy you clothes and shoes many sizes too big so you can "grow" into them and wear them for years to come. (my mom's theory, then I starting buying my own clothes)
-You call all your parents friends "auntie or uncle". (still do that)
-Your parents never kissed you…your parents never kissed each other.(It'd be odd if I did)
-Your friends try to impress you with pathetic imitation languages, like the ever so popular "ching chong woo bok chi"…etc. (I was teased too many times in elementary for that)
-You hated that black herb medicine that your parents forced you to drink when you were sick. (they still force me, luckily, I haven't been sick for a while)
-You keep fresh garlic and ginger in the kitchen at all times.
-You were told by your friends you all look alike. (many many times)

I also found a funny video on family gatherings, and yep, I do believe this Youtuber has got it bang on. (maybe a little exaggerated but nonetheless, funny)


Hope you enjoy the video!

1 comment:

  1. LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!


    -Your folks never speak UNDER 10 decibels at family gatherings. --TRUE DAT!!

    -Your friends automatically assume you’re good at math. --well only for you Chinese I think hihi...that's like, common knowledge...that Chinese are good in math lol

    -You don’t own any real Tupperware, only used margarine tubs, takeout containers, and jam jars. --true!!

    -You call all your parents friends "auntie or uncle". (still do that) --I DO TOO! haha

    -Your friends try to impress you with pathetic imitation languages, like the ever so popular "ching chong woo bok chi"…etc. (I was teased too many times in elementary for that) --LOLOLOLOL I've had the urge to do that ever since I learned you were Chinese!! but then I also learned that you don't really speak Mandarin, so nevermind HHAHHAHHA

    -You were told by your friends you all look alike. (many many times) --doesn't apply to me...but I just wanna LOL

    cool that Asian families do have stuff in common haha...like almost shouting at each other when actually we're just having a normal convo hahaha!! chaotic!! =))))

    ReplyDelete